What is the Program?
The Victorian Alliance Grants Program offers financial support for projects focusing on the restoration and preservation of historic buildings, landscapes, and artifacts located primarily in San Francisco. The Victorian Alliance has established a Preservation Fund, the income from which is used to help worthy projects. The Fund was created as a result of fundraising efforts by the membership through bake sales, garage sales, garden tours, and house tours, and by the generous donations and bequests from members and friends of the Alliance. Since our founding the Alliance has awarded grants totaling over $308,000.
What kinds of projects has the Alliance supported?
The following are projects that the Alliance has supported since 1977. Many of our grants have been awarded in memory and in honor of members who have generously dedicated their time and talents to the success of The Victorian Alliance.
- The Restoration of the Windmills in Golden Gate Park
- Period Chandeliers Added to the Sharon and McLaren Lodges in Golden Gate Park
- Grace Marchant Gardens Restoration on Telegraph Hill
- Restoration of the Stained Glass Window in Mission Presbyterian Church
- Lighting of the Palace of Fine Arts in 1991 and the Current Restoration Completed in 2011
- St. James Catholic Church Steeple Repair
- Restoration of a Stained Glass Window in the Henry Ohlhoff House
- Restoration of the Front Doors of the Shrine of St. Francis
- Exterior Painting of St. Charles School on 18th Street in the Mission
- Macedonia Baptist Church Restoration
- Ellinwood Textiles Archive
- Barbary Coast Trail Plaque
- Conservatory of Flowers Restoration in Golden Gate Park
- Western Neighborhoods Project to Restore Windows in an Earthquake Cottage
- Restoration of the Stained Glass Windows in the Russian Old Cathedral of the Holy Virgin
- Restoration of the Floor and Stage of the Julia Morgan Potrero Hill Neighborhood House
- Restoration of the Garland Frieze at the SFLGBT Center at 1800 Market Street
- San Francisco Arts Commission for the Seismic Stabilization and Restoration of the Portals of the Past in Golden Gate Park
- Haas-Lilienthal House for Its New Roof
- Restoration of a Stained Glass Window in St. John's Presbyterian Church
- The Victorian Style Drinking Fountains and Their Installation in Lafayette Park
- Congregation Sherith Israel for the Restoration of a Stained Glass Window
- Castro Theater for the Restoration of the Leaded Glass Box Office Windows
- (partial list)
Who is eligible to apply for a Grant?
Grant applications are available for publicly accessible projects located primarily in San Francisco. Second preference is given to projects within other Bay Area counties. Grants are not available to individuals to support their private property or interests.
What kinds of projects are eligible?
Among other criteria, preference is given to projects that ask for specific support, such as the restoration of a stained glass window, rather than general contributions. Preference is given to physical preservation/restoration projects over academic endeavors.
What amounts of money may be awarded?
The grants are typically for amounts up to $5000.
When are Grants awarded?
Grants are awarded twice a year after a Grants Committee, consisting of officers and members, reviews applications and makes a recommendation to the General Membership to accept a request, and thereby fund all or part of it, or reject it outright. The deadlines for submitting applications are February 28 and August 31.
What is the application process?
The application form PDF is available here on our website and further information is available by calling the President of the Alliance at email@example.com or (415) 824-2666. The application form gives full details about the application process, deadlines, and the criteria the Grants Committee uses for awarding grants. The form and the process are not complicated and we are happy to answer any questions about the program.
Does The Victorian Alliance accept funds for distribution through The Grants Program?
Yes. It is often difficult for individuals to know which preservation projects need funding or how best to evaluate the merits of each. As a 501(c)(3) charitable organization, The Alliance can accept gifts of any denomination for distribution through our Grants Program. For further information, please contact the President of the Alliance at firstname.lastname@example.org or (415) 824-2666.