Linss House

The eclectic mix of Queen Anne and Classical Revival styles relates this house to 439, 443, and 453 Alvarado Street, which were all built in 1897. However, the front staircase, which appears to be original in its design, is in the Eastlake style. The water was turned on at this address on June 8, 1898. Note the Ionic capitals on the window pilasters, the carved second story frieze of ribbons and swags, and the laurel wreath with entwined ribbons, emblematic of victory. A frieze of rosettes extends above the first floor windows. The diamond shingled pediment is topped by a cartouche.

Louis Linss may have been the original owner and is listed in the 1900 census as residing here. He was born in Germany in 1868 and came to the United States at the age of 17 in 1885. He first worked as a waiter and then became partner in the Wertz and Linss Liquor business. In 1907 his occupation is listed as “the business of Liquors.” His wife Bertha was born in Germany in 1866. They had three sons: Herman, born 1890; Louis, born 1891; and Fred, born 1892. The Fred Linss family lived in the home until 1967, the same year that the Junior League created files for its book Here Today.

An extension to the rear of the house was made under the ownership of Gab Silverman in the 1960’s.